Sunday, January 24, 2010

This Little Light of Mine...

I'm going to let it shine...let it shine, let it shine, let it shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneeeee!

Okay, I am so excited that my $35 dollar chandelier turned out!!!

The project started @ $35.00 for the chandelier but then with the cost of

1) paint $3.50;

2)two four packs of light bulbs $5.00;

3) the ceiling medallion $20.00;
(took the one from Lowes back & found a cheaper version at Home Depot)

=

Project Grand Total $
63.50.

Considering the cost of lighting, I think it was money well spent.

Here's a little history on our dining room lighting....

We started with a lovely "gold & crystal" builders grade chandelier...similar to this one:


Can you believe this sells for over $300 online? My thoughts exactly...who would buy this? This builders must be getting them for $20!

So three or four years ago, we replaced that irresistible chandelier with a simpler one that we paid $69.00 @ Lowes.

I know what you are thinking and I can't believe I paid that much for it either. Believe it or not, it is actually more now...$88 to be exact!
Hopefully I can recover some of the cost by selling the old one on craiglist.org. Anyone dying to buy this chandelier?

So several months ago...probably more like bordering a year ago, a deal through homedecoratorsoutlet.com that was posted on slickdeals.net caught my eye.

Originally I was going to use it for Annelise's closet but when it arrived it was much bigger than I thought and I found one for for her closet for a steal (yeah, I know it's another pending project).



Since our entryway lights are black, we decided to spray paint this one to match. So we spray painted the chandelier with Rust-Oleum Flat Black a few weeks ago and then had company over and just got busy.

Over the weekend, my husband and I tackled the project together. It really turned out to be more work than we anticipated.



Additionally, the piece that my husband called a shaft but turned out to be really called a nipple was too long so I had to buy a smaller one at home depot. Then we thought that nipple was too short and took it down and tried the other on again and then tried something else and ultimately ended up using the short nipple.


Then we thought it was missing a couple of screws. So during my nipple/shaft trip, I had to get help with finding matching screws. What a trip @ the depot! Can you believe the names they come up with for this stuff.....
But enough with the nasty talk.



After we put all the screws in, we found the missing screws in one of the shade boxes. Took the others out and put in the right ones because they were camouflaged with balls. Yeah I know...but what do I call them?

In the midst of it all I had to clean the medallion because this was dirty work and I had to touch up some of the paint due to all the putting it up and taking it down but in the end it all came together!



3 comments:

  1. sounds like you had an interesting weekend filled with shafts, balls, and nipples. My weekend was much calmer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh, this is just too funny with all the sexual innuendos :) Hopefully we're all married :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! What a nice, big chandelier! Great job...it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete